Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bettercestershire

Ok, bad one, sorry, couldn't resist.  And I am aware the first syllable in Worcestershire isn't even pronounced "worse."  My DH bought some Lea & Perrins Worcestershire even though sugar is listed as an ingredient, so what else can a faithful wife do but create a GAPS-legal taste-alike?  The thing is, it really is better for your health, so there's more to the name than a bad play on words!

I can't really give you exact amounts because the process involved pouring a bit more vinegar, a bit more honey, tasting, adding more of this or that, and tasting, tasting, tasting.  Using the genuine L&P as my guide of course.  But I can give you (while recording for myself) the list of ingredients, with my educated guess at how much actually went in:

Ingredients:

Vinegar (ordinary, not Balsamic which is not GAPS) about 1/4 cup
Coconut Aminos similar quantity
Honey maybe 1 teaspoon
5 cloves garlic. crushed in a garlic press
5 pieces of fresh onion cur into garlic-clove-size pieces and crushed in the garlic press
quite a few drops of Hot Scotch Bonnet sauce
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp mustard
1 capsule fermented cod liver oil, contents thereof
1/2 tsp Marmite*

* I'm pretty sure you can omit the Marmite!..  it just sits there on my shelf so I thought this could be a way to use it.   I'm not actually certain it's GAPS-legal.


1.  Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until the honey and the Marmite are dissolved  The FCLO is my substitute for anchovies, one of the L&P ingredients.

2.  Filter out the garlic and onion pulp using a permanent coffee filter.

3.  Taste and add more honey, salt, etc. as desired.  

(4.  Pour the L&P down the drain and refill the bottle with Bettercestershire.)

(5.  Don't tell anyone you did this.)

UPDATE: After going a couple of weeks with this horrid secret between DH and me, I 'fessed up and made him take the taste test.  He was really surprised at how close the Faux stuff  tasted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment