Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent, First Steps in Juicing

Today I made a batch of laundry soap.  There are many recipes on the web; I used #9 from the site http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/.  My first try, a couple of weeks ago, was a fraction of #10 and I found that it required a lot more stirring than expected.  I had chosen that one because it does not involve grating bar soap, but in comparison a little grating would probably take less time!  So #9 looked good to me today.  Until  started grating.  After about 5 minutes DD wisely suggested I try the food processor.  We have a small one that really whizzes stuff up.  It can grind coffee beans and flax seed.  Worked like a charm, the hardest thing to making laundry detergent is now cutting the bar soap into pieces small enough for the Moulinette.  Out of 1 large bar of Marseille soap and a few ends from the bathrooms I obtained 3 cups of grated soap, so I pro-rated the other ingredients: 4 1/2 cups Borax, 3 cups Baking Soda, 3 cups Washing Soda.  Mix well.  I had to run the Borax through a sieve, but the rest was straightforward.  What's great is that I'll only need 1/8 cup per load, so I should get 108 loads from this.

Today I also made fresh apple juice with my juicer.  Our Samson 6-in-1 became part of our household last week.  It juices fruits, vegetables and leaves, including wheatgrass but also makes nut butters, grinds meat, grinds spices, and more.  The apple juice was wonderful, very sweet.  It's not the fastest juicer and everything has to be cut small (apples in 8 wedges) but cleanup is not a problem.  For my first try at juicing, I mixed carrots, coconut, kale, cilantro and beets.   The result was not very popular, I ended up having to drink it all myself.  But the pulp made a very nice spice bread.

SPICE BREAD FROM JUICING PULP

About 2 cups pulp from carrots, coconut, beets, greens, etc.
2 bananas
4 eggs
1 cup melted coconut oil
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 Tbs baking soda
1 Tbs honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin or loaf pans with coconut oil.

Mash the bananas.  Beat in the eggs, pulp and coconut oil with a wire whisk.  Mix all the other ingredients together separately (or on top of the wet ingredients mixture).  Pour into greased pans.  Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete